The Joys of Bathing Outside


When Sam and I built our tiny house, we decided to give ourselves some extra space inside by not having a shower and toilet in the house. Instead, we made the would-be-bathroom space into our closet/supply room. We really didn’t have any other options for closet space with how much living area we really wanted. When the idea was presented, I thought it wasn’t really that big of a deal. We have an outhouse with a modern toilet next to the barn I work in, and putting a bath tub right outside the back door will make it easy to get ready in the morning. And hey, we are surrounded by a pine forest in case of bathroom emergencies (or not wanting to cross a pitch black field at 2AM). After living in the tiny house for three years now, I have found the pros, the cons, the awesome and the ugly, and this is what I have to say about having an outdoor bathroom.

From the start, I knew this was going to be pretty freaking awesome. Three years ago when we were getting the bath house together, I was at my pottery studio while Sam was getting the hot water heater hooked up. I had been in my studio for about three hours and sent Sam a text saying that I’d be home in about a half an hour, and I got an “Ok see you soon” back. I pulled into the driveway and was walking up to the front door when I looked at the opening of our bath house to find him like this:

 
(It’s pretty cool to drink a beer with a cigar while bathing in your regular bathtub)

 Since then, I have taken this method and made my own version:
 

 Taking a bath outside is like meditation:  

·         it’s quiet

·          has 100% natural light (except at night when the string lights come on)

·          sounds of nature all around you

·          you can feel the breeze go through the pine trees

·          being able to look out and see a house nestled in the woods that Sam and I built from scratch


Originally, there was no door on the bath house. It had 3 walls that enclosed the tub with a completely open wall so we could see out into the woods. We had to change that after an incident with Sam in the tub on a Saturday morning when a Jehovah’s Witness paid us an unexpected visit. All Sam could do in that situation was wave and say “Good Morning!” because there was nowhere to hide. Now we have a sliding barn door that can easily be opened or closed while in sitting in the tub for such occasions. Lesson learned.

The catch with an outdoor shower is that you have to use it rain or shine, summer or winter. It’s hard to make yourself get out of beautifully hot water and stand in a 14 degree morning while you dry yourself off enough to not make a puddle of water inside the house. Many a time has Sam come in saying that he fell asleep in the bathtub and woke up with his hair frozen to the side. Because of the winters in GA, we purchased an instant, tank- less propane  hot water heater that has a max water temp of 122 (about 20 degrees hotter than a hot tub setting) which allows us to have no limit on our hot water supply, making it very easy to get a very warm bath in colder, winter temperatures. During not so pleasant days, we do find ourselves wishing we didn’t have to bathe outside. We go see our friends for dinner and say “my hair froze to the tub again this morning”. But this feeling quickly comes and goes because of the usually mild winters we have in Georgia.
 
 
One other minor set back to having an outdoor bath is constantly being harassed by nesting birds in the spring. One minute you are all relaxed, the next there is water going everywhere because a tiny tufted titmouse got a sense that you were going after it’s babies and wasn’t okay with it.

All in all, I don’t see myself going back to the traditional indoor shower/bathtub. We are in the process of laying out floor plans for a shipping container house to build in the next few years and I have already told Sam that I would like an outdoor shower and tub that will go off of our bedroom so I don’t have to give up my standing Saturday evening appointment with my glass of wine, lavender/sage bath bomb, and the view of the forest I now crave every time I take a bath.
 

Comments

Popular Posts